Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ubuntu / PowerBook 3400 Update

I'm writing this blog post from Firefox in Ubuntu Linux on a PowerBook 3400c.

Not any PowerBook 3400c, but the one I was working on in my previous blog post! I have done the impossible!

There were many other adventures on the way to getting this operational. I will relate those in a post in the near-future, from my PC. :-)

For being in Gnome for a couple minutes, my only concern so far is that I don't seem to have any way to "right-click", it being a Mac. That is disturbing, but I bet there is some switch somewhere I can throw to turn on a modifier key for right-click, or a press-and-hold right click.

On the plus side, Linux no longer mangles my keypresses being stored in the keyboard buffer, whereas the Mac OS would frequently flip them around backwards, if I typed "the" too fast, it would come out "eht". On the other hand, the blogger editor control is so slow that I can easily type a couple phrases in advance of where it has caught up with me, however, it seems to keep up eventually (so it is a good thing the buffer doesn't flip). Bear in mind, that I am an unusually fast typist, so for an average user, this might not be much of a concern. Also, editing in GEdit seemed to be up to speed.

As an experiment, clicking the "Edit Html" link in Blogger seems to make the speed quite a bit faster, although it is still a little bit sluggish.

I'll post the gory details of how I pulled off this technilogical feat on a system with only 2G of disk space and substandard everything, very soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home